M.I.A

Will. post. soon.

The plague is passing through our house. Okay, it's more like a head cold but it is wreaking havoc on me and Mr. G.

Plus we have a battle of the wills going on.  Someone thought it would be funny to replace my sweet baby boy with an "I want to be independent don't need you to hold my hand I'll walk off the edge of the slide if I want".  Needless to say, it has been interesting and resulted in several time outs (for myself).


Mr. G is growing up, and while it is amazing to watch him learn and grow and become independent, it is also sad and exhausting.  Sad because he isn't a baby anymore and it's going too fast, exhausting because he wants to (attempt to) do everything on his own.  This is my first rodeo and sometimes I just don't know what to do.

For example, I thought it would be lovely to take G to a new little park so he could run wild.  We get there and all was going well. There were enough leaves for him to examine for a lifetime.  Then he spotted the play area, fully equipped with slides and bars and swings much too big for him. Of course he just blew by the little play area with age appropriate apparatus. Cut to us at the top of the steps, about 10 feet off the ground with G wanting to just walk off the edge. So, of course I'm holding him trying to get him to go back down the steps and he has a major meltdown. Screaming, crying, flailing his little arms, stopping his baby feet, blabbering baby gibberish. I pick him up, drag him back down to safety, and place him on the ground in the mulch for him to continue his tirade.   I asked our pediatrician at his last appointment what the best approach was when handling such a melt down, she said to stay in sight but for the most part just ignore him.  So I plopped myself on the bottom of the slide next to him, and let him work it out.

10 minutes later G was still working it out.  So I picked up him, inciting an even more high pitched scream than I thought humanly possible, and carried him calmly to the car. He fought me getting him into the car seat. Cried most of the way home. And then he napped for 2 hours. This was good, we both needed some time apart. Did I do the right thing? Should I have stayed and let him go longer? I don't really think I gave in to him. I think that would have meant I let him plunge 10 feet to the ground. I'll never know. 

On the bright side,  did you know Target sells candles super cheap?  I cannot yet attest to the quality, but I am burning one as we speak so I'll let you know.  I'm pretty loyal to Yankee, they are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I've tried the cheapo candles from A.C. Moore and Micheal's without much success. Either the wicks don't burn right, or they don't smell as good. I was excited to find the ones in Target, and hope it works out.

No comments

Back to Top